Addicting and Brilliant // REVIEW: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Title: The Bone Season (The Bone Season #1)
Author: Samantha Shannon
Publication Date: August 20th 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury India
Part of a Series?: Yes, Book 1/7 of The Bone Season Series
I Got A Copy Through: I bought it!
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Amazon US || Amazon UK || The Book Despository || Wordery ||  Flipkart || Snapdeal || Infibeam || Foyles || Waterstones || WHSmith || Kobo || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo || Google Books
Blurb Description: The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.
It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.
The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine and also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.
I first read The Bone Season over three years ago. It was sophomore year of high school, I had my Chemistry and Physics finals the next day, and I made the choice to read just a FEW chapters of this book during my break.

OF COURSE, ANY BOOKDRAGON WORTH HIS/ HER SALT KNOWS THAT A FEW CHAPTERS IN AN INCOMPREHENSIBLE TERM.

And so, instead of finishing my revision, I sped read this book, dying for more Paige and Warden Scenes and barely concentrating on the plot. I bought myself a copy of The Mime Order later, but for some reason, I never really got to reading it. #TBRProblems.

And so, when the LOVELY Folks over at Bloomsbury India sent me a SIGNED copy of book three, The Song Rising, I KNEW it was time to dive back in. (I’m also TOTALLY congratulating myself for finding the TIME to re-read and not cop out and read a recap)

Long story short, THIS WAS ONE OF THE MOST BRILLIANTLY CONSTRUCTED WORLDS WITH A HOST OF CHARACTERS I WAS ROOTING FOR FROM PAGE ONE AND I NEED MORE OF THIS WORLD AND EVERYONE IN.

Things I Loved:

1.       THE WORLD BUILDING: Hands down, The Bone Season has THE BEST WORLD BUILDING OUT THERE. I adored jumping into a futuristic London where breathing for Clairvoyants is considered High Treason. I LOVED THE SYNDICATE, Paige and even the very building of Sheol I. IT WAS ALL SO BRUTALLY REAL with the best host of characters.

2.       PAIGE MAHONEY: I liked Paige when I initially read the book, but reading it again made her seem SO MUCH MORE BADASS. It’s so hard to describe who she is, but this girl was STRONG, TOUGH, POWERFUL AND SO SO REAL – I LOVED HER.
"This was what my spirit loved to do, to wander in strange lands. It couldn't stand being trapped in one body all the time. it had wanderlust."
3.       WARDEN: I have this policy – give me the worst guy in the book and I’ll probably feel something for him instead of for the Golden Boy/ Prom King. I ALREADY KNEW WARDEN but HOLY CRAP AM I IN LOVE WITH HIM THIS TIME AROUND. He was insufferable, powerful, understanding, kind, broken and scarred and his last few dialogues broke me and I can’t wait to meet him outside Sheol I in The Mime Order
"She comes with me," It was Warden, and he looked demonic. "Run, oracle."
4.       THE SEVEN SEALS: I feel like we didn’t see NEARLY enough of Paige’s main seven co-workers, who form the Inner Circle of Jaxon Hall’s (their Mime Lord’s) crew in The Bone Season, but I’m pretty sure they’re going to there SO MUCH MORE in book two and I CAN’T WAIT TO GET TO KNOW THEM.
"I am giving you the option to call for help." When I looked at him, he said, "Call the Seven Seals."
5.       I also really loved the general anticipation that I HAD TWO MORE BOOKS TO READ after this one (and four more after book three, but let’s not dwell on that now) (Yes, it’s a SEVEN BOOK SERIES!) because that means BINGE TIME!

A highly addicting, brilliantly constructed swoon worthy book that I CANNOT RECOMMEND ENOUGH! Samantha Shannon’s writing intricately spins a world of the best kind around you and you’ll love every second you’re living in it.
GET READING.
Samantha Shannon was born and raised in West London. She started writing in abundance when she was twelve, started her first novel when she was fifteen, and studied English Language and Literature at St Anne's College, Oxford, from 2010 – 2013, graduating with a 2:1. 
Samantha Shannon
In 2013, she published The Bone Season, the internationally bestselling first installment in a seven-book series of fantasy novels. Its first sequel, The Mime Order, was published in 2015, and she's currently editing the third book in the series, The Song Rising. She is also working on a high fantasy novel. Film rights to the Bone Season are held by the Imaginarium Studios, Chernin Entertainment and 20th Century Fox. 
Have you gotten a chance to dive into The Bone Season yet? What did you think of it? 
I'm SO SORRY I haven't been around/ replying to comments but I'll be doing it ALL tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment